beirut explosion

Discuss world politics in relation to Islam and Muslims.
manfred

beirut explosion

Post by manfred »

There are many reports coming out of Beirut, Lebanon, of a huge explosion in the harbour district of the city.

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live ... index.html

ALL of the reports are strangely coy about offering any causal connection.

All we can say it there was a sizeable store of explosives in the harbour area, and that "went up". Normally you would hear something about careless workers smoking, or welding something perhaps, and hence the explosion. But there is nothing at all, not even on alJazeera.

The Lebanon is not known for substantial mining operations and there are only bits and pieces for the building industry. Mining shafts, though, have been knows to have other uses, specially in the south. So, why would there be a large store of explosives in a built up area? Who needs them in Lebanon? What for, Chinese New Year?

Does any one have any details on this?
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Ariel

Re: beirut explosion

Post by Ariel »

manfred wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:25 pm
There are many reports coming out of Beirut, Lebanon, of a huge explosion in the harbour district of the city.

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live ... index.html

ALL of the reports are strangely coy about offering any causal connection.

All we can say it there was a sizeable store of explosives in the harbour area, and that "went up". Normally you would hear something about careless workers smoking, or welding something perhaps, and hence the explosion. But there is nothing at all, not even on alJazeera.
I heard on TV they have/had weapons and munitions stored in the harbour. And they do not know yet if the explosion was an accident or an attack. But Libanon do not think the blast was an Israeli strike .

It could be fireworks though. Look at this picture. Pointing to what appears to be fireworks shooting out of the smoke, experts said a combination of fireworks and highly flammable fertiliser could have sparked such an explosion.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

The damage is enormous. Poor people.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Israeli officials have denied involvement in the Beirut port explosion.

“Israel has nothing to do with the incident,” the official said on condition of anonymity, according to Reuters.

The country’s foreign minister, Gabi Ashkenazi, told Israeli N12 television news that the explosion was most likely an accident caused by a fire.

Tensions have been high this week following a cross-border confrontation between Israel and the Lebanese militant group, Hezbollah.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Lebanese Prime Minister says Beirut explosions caused by an estimated 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate left unsecured for 6 years in a warehouse. He vows to punish officials responsible. 50+ dead, 3,000 injured, hospitals overwhelmed.

manfred

Post by manfred »

Maybe this is a also chance to improve neighbourly relations for Israel, by offering help?

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

manfred wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:50 am
Maybe this is a also chance to improve neighbourly relations for Israel, by offering help?
They do.

Israel offers Lebanon humanitarian relief as investigation into cause of explosion continues.
"Following Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's approval of humanitarian and medical assistance to Lebanon, the prime minister instructed the head of the National Security Council Meir Ben-Shabbat to talk to the UN envoy Nickolay Mladenov to find out what else Israel can do to help Lebanon," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office wrote in a statement.

Following the explosion, Defense Minister Benny Gantz and Foreign Minister Gabi Ashkenazi conveyed via diplomatic and security channels Israel's offer to provide humanitarian relief and medical support to the Lebanese people. Israeli defense officials denied that Israel was connected to the explosion, which came as the IDF was on high alert along the northern border in anticipation of a Hezbollah attack.

Additionally, Ziv Medical Center announced that it is "experienced and prepared" to assist in any way possible.
"We share the pain of the Lebanese people and sincerely reach out to offer our aid at this difficult time," President Reuven Rivlin tweeted on Tuesday night.

Opposition head Yair Lapid sent a message in English and Arabic saying “I send my deepest condolences to the residents of Beirut during this difficult time and wish a speedy recovery to all who were injured.”
Additionally, IDF spokesperson Hidai Zilberman tweeted that "this is the time to transcend any conflict."

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

At least 100 people have died and more than 4,000 were wounded in Tuesday’s explosion in the port of Beirut, state-run media reported, citing the Red Cross.

Georges Kettaneh, the secretary-general of the Lebanese Red Cross, told Lebanon’s National News Agency Wednesday that the disaster is "unprecedented and very large."

Experts that examined the Beirut explosion footage concluded that it was rocket fuel that exploded. That confirms that it was part of Hezbollah weapon percision program where they turned dumb rockets into smart guided ones.

This is the ship Rhosus, who transported the 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate that detonated on Tuesday into the Port of Beirut .

pr126

Post by pr126 »

How soon before someone will blame this Explosion on Israel?
Islam: an idea to kill and die for.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

pr126 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:53 am
Not long. That has already happened by a man who hate Israel.

BREAKING: Israel Bombed Beirut

Massive mushroom cloud from Hezbollah warehouse bombing and its aftermath

A confidential highly-informed Israeli source has told me that Israel caused the massive explosion at the Beirut port earlier today which killed over 100 and injured thousands. The bombing also virtually leveled the port itself and caused massive damage throughout the city.
Spoiler! :
Israel targeted a Hezbollah weapons depot at the port and planned to destroy it with an explosive device. Tragically, Israeli intelligence did not perform due diligence on their target. Thus they did not know (or if they did know, they didn’t care) that there were 2,700 tons of ammonium nitrate stored in a next door warehouse. The explosion at the arms depot ignited the next door warehouse, causing the catastrophe that resulted.

It is, of course, unconscionable that Israeli agents did not determine everything about their target including what was in its immediate vicinity. The tragedy Israel has wreaked is a war crime of immense magnitude.

The ICC has already been investigating Israel for war crimes in Gaza since the 2014 Operation Protective Edge. Now, I imagine it will expand the scope to incorporate today’s criminally negligent massacre.

Though Israel has regularly attacked Hezbollah and Iranian weapons depots and convoys in Syria, it rarely undertakes such brazen attacks inside Lebanon. This attack in the country’s capital marks an even greater escalation. The sheer recklessness of this operation is astonishing.

Not surprising though. An operation of this sort can only happen amidst internal political dysfunction. Bibi is on the ropes and desperate to change the subject. When his intelligence officers brought the plan to him he probably rubbed his hands with glee and said: “Go to it!” Israeli intelligence was naturally out to please the boss and probably cut corners in order to make the attack happen. When no one is at the wheel saying “Stop!” the boat hits an iceberg and sinks. That’s possibly what happened here.

The Israeli bombing brings to mind similar bombings orchestrated by its agents in Beirut in the period before and after its 1982 invasion. Ronen Bergman’s book on Mossad assassinations and Remy Brulin have documented multiple Israeli bombings during this period which wreaked widespread death and destruction on the city’s civilian population.

In this case, the damage done was accidental. But that will be little comfort to the thousands of Beirutis whose lives have become a living hell as a result of this Israeli crime.

As an aside, former Likud MK Moshe Feiglin tweeted a quotation from the Bible about the disaster: “There never have been such great days in Israel as the 15th of Av [the day of the bombing] and Yom Kippur.”

Of course, it pains me to admit that Pres. Trump was correct in his earlier statement that the explosion was a “terrible attack,” and that the information was conveyed to him by “his generals.” In this case, he and they were right.

There could (and should) be domestic political repercussions for this disaster. As Netanyahu approved the attack, he is responsible for the consequences. In 1982, a commission of inquiry found Ariel Sharon culpable for the invasion of Lebanon and the massacre at Sabra and Shatilla. He was sent into political exile for a decade. At the very least, this should disqualify Bibi from leading the country. This would be the outcome in any democratic nation in which the leader was held accountable for his failures.

But alas, Israel is not such a nation, and Bibi always seems to weasel out of responsibility for his blunders. The difference here is that the Israeli leader is already under pressure due to his government’s disastrous response to Covid19 and the looming corruption trial on three counts of bribery. This could be the tipping point.

Normally, Israelis would not bat an eye at such a massacre. They have become inured to the suffering they inflict on their Arab neighbors. But given Netanyahu’s collapsing popularity, this could hasten his end.

Israel couldn’t have picked a worse time to inflict such suffering on Lebanon. The country is in deep economic crisis. Businesses are going bankrupt, people have nothing to eat, politicians quarrel and blame while doing nothing. Lebanon is a basket case. Suffering is everywhere. There is little appetite from its Arab brethren like Saudi Arabia to come to its aid. If any country did not need this added tragedy it is Lebanon. But there you go–Israel doesn’t seem to have any sense of shame or restraint when it comes to inflicting pain on its neighbors.

Of course there will be doubters. Those who disbelieve my source. But to them I point out two pieces of circumstantial evidence which are telling. Normally, if Israel has undertaken a successful terror attack (such as those against Iran) it will either refuse to comment or a senior military or political figure will saying something like: While we refuse to comment, whoever did it did the world a favor.

In this case, Israel immediately denied responsibility. Even Hezbollah supposedly said Israel hadn’t caused the damage (likely protecting itself from the inevitable blame that will fall upon it for storing its weapons next to a building filled with explosive material).

The second tell-tale sign is that Israel never offers humanitarian aid to its Arab neighbors. During the Syrian Civil War the only group to whom Israel offered humanitarian assistance was its Islamist anti-Assad allies. Israel has never offered such aid to Lebanon, until today. Instead, it has rained down death and destruction for decades. For it to do so now is the height of chutzpah.
Who is Richard Silverstein ?
Tikun Olam (Hebrew: תיקון עולם‎ tikkun olam, "repairing the world") is a Seattle-based political blog that regularly reports on Israeli security matters. The blog was created in 2003 by Richard Silverstein and covers the Arab–Israeli conflict. Silverstein describes it as a "liberal Jewish blog" that "focuses on exposing the excesses of the Israeli national security state".

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

What is happening in the Middle East. :clueless:

Aug 4, 2020: Lebanon, BeirutExplosion
Aug 5, 2020: Dubai, Ajman in a popular market in the new industrial area.
Aug 5, 2020: Iraq, Najaf in several food warehouses.

Fire in food and electrical storages in Najaf

August 5, 2020
The official Iraqi news agency reported about a fire in a food and electrical warehouse in Najaf Ashraf and announced that firefighters are trying to contain it
A massive fire broke out Wednesday evening at a market in Ajman, an emirate in the United Arab Emirates located about 30 miles from Dubai.

While the fire did not cause any deaths or injuries, parts of the market completely collapsed and burned to the ground, Sheikh Sultan bin Abdullah al-Nuaimi said in a statement, per Reuters.

Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Ariel wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:32 pm
pr126 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:53 am
Not long. That has already happened by a man who hate Israel.

BREAKING: Israel Bombed Beirut

Massive mushroom cloud from Hezbollah warehouse bombing and its aftermath

A confidential highly-informed Israeli source has told me that Israel caused the massive explosion at the Beirut port earlier today which killed over 100 and injured thousands. The bombing also virtually leveled the port itself and caused massive damage throughout the city.
Who is Richard Silverstein ?
Tikun Olam (Hebrew: תיקון עולם‎ tikkun olam, "repairing the world") is a Seattle-based political blog that regularly reports on Israeli security matters. The blog was created in 2003 by Richard Silverstein and covers the Arab–Israeli conflict. Silverstein describes it as a "liberal Jewish blog" that "focuses on exposing the excesses of the Israeli national security state".
Before any clandestine operation the Mossad & IDF make damn sure to minimize collateral damage as possible. It is impossible the Mossad didn't know about the ammonium nitrate & its effect.

My understanding that it was a spark from the welder working on site that caused the initial fire & that fire had caused the massive 2nd explosion. Since the warehouse with the ammonium nitrate was not ventilated properly to dissipate the flammable gases there, obviously the explosion would occur.

As for Silverstein. He is another version of Alex Jones. He claims he is Jewish & "studied at Hebrew University" in Jerusalem. He never lived there. From his writing it is obvious he does not have Israel's best interest in mind. Therefor, I would be hard pressed to believe some high ranking Intelligence community there will supply such sensitive info to some obscure dude sitting in his office in Seattle WA and wring conspiracy theories. I take his comments with grain of salt.

I won't be surprised if tomorrow he will publish another "revelation" that the Mossad has come up with new secrete plan to inject chemicals in the Humus & Fallafel which rendered only Arabs as impotent to decrease their population.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

:clueless: Why oh why do people believe al those conspiracy theories. :clueless: Chemtrails, Israel animal spying, Vaccination, Flat Earth, an endless list, and now this.
Doctored videos are already faking the cause of Beirut's explosion

Doctored videos of Tuesday's devastating explosion in Beirut are already circulating on every major social media platform.

In videos originally shot by both CNN and eyewitnesses in the Lebanese capital, footage of a rising smoke plume at Beirut Port was inverted and made to look like a "negative." In addition, a missile-like object was superimposed on the video.

Some of the manipulated footage was taken from the Facebook page of Beirut-based, CNN Arabic social media producer Mehsen Mekhtfe. He had captured the explosion while walking near the port -- something that he does frequently during that time of day.

"Many people reached out to me to tell me that it's fake," Mekhtfe told CNN, referring to the fake missile video. "But it's my video and I have the original and it doesn't show that. When people ask me about it, I tell them, the doctored one is not true."

"I can emphasize that I didn't see any missile and didn't hear any jet or drone above me," he added.
CNN Arabic's team in Abu Dhabi was first to spot the footage, and immediately recognized it had been doctored.

The manipulated footage can be found on every major social media platform: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and TikTok.

Some of the videos on Facebook had a "false information" warning, including one that had over 1,500 shares. Others did not bear that warning, including one with over 8,400 views.

CNN reached out to the social media companies for comment on the doctored videos but has only received a response from TikTok and YouTube.

"As soon as we became aware of this video it was removed for violating our policy on misleading content," a TikTok spokesperson told CNN. "Prior to removal, the video had already been automatically flagged by our system, limiting its reach on our platform. Our hearts go out to the people of Beirut during this difficult time."

"We have removed the video for violating our Community Guidelines and re-uploads of the original clip if they contain segments that we deem to be violative of YouTube's Community Guidelines," Farshad Shadloo, YouTube's head of Policy Communications told CNN in an email.

When CNN reached out to the individual credited with creating the doctored video for comment, they responded, "someone or somebody hated me so much to put my email on a fake video."

manfred

Post by manfred »

This retired lecturer went through the trouble of putting together some background information....

After giving a very short general introduction to the history of the Lebanon, she presents her finding about this blast:

The explosive fertiliser arrived by ship seven years ago, on a interim stop through the Suez canal, and the ship was impounded by the port authorities because it was classed as unseaworthy. The ship was then abandoned by her owner, and basically left to rot on anchor. But the cargo did not escape the attention of Hizbollah members who saw it as potentially useful in attacks on Israel. So they, quite illegally, but without opposition moved all of it with small boats to a warehouse they controlled. There it was left until it could be used... and I don't mean used to grow tomatoes. In plain English, they stole it and stored it in a dangerous place, and nobody did anything.

Then there was a yet not properly explained accident which led to the explosion. Whatever that was, one thing is clear ... the government turned a blind eye to this illegal and dangerous store of explosives, and they did so because Hizbollah was behind it, and behind them stand powerful Iran, which little Lebanon cannot afford to upset.