Erdogan ...Turkey

Discuss world politics in relation to Islam and Muslims.
Fernando

Re: Erdogan ...Turkey

Post by Fernando »

Erdogan poem prize winner: Boris Johnson!

I was surprised today to see Douglas Murray announcing the winner of the Erdogan Poetry Prize - I thought the competition still had some time to run and I was still fine-tuning my own intended contribution. Frankly, had I known how feeble the winning entry would be, I'd have sent in my own and been damned! Murray said the filthier and more offensive the better yet this would hardly have offended Mother Theresa!
Still, I think I can forgive Murray: far more important that such a prominent figure as Boris - a potential Prime Minister, after all - be seen to be standing up to foreign dictators. As Murray says
For myself, I think it a wonderful thing that a British political leader has shown that Britain will not bow before the putative Caliph in Ankara. Erdogan may imprison his opponents in Turkey. Chancellor Merkel may imprison Erdogan’s critics in Germany. But in Britain we still live and breathe free. We need no foreign potentate to tell us what we may think or say. And we need no judge (especially no German judge) to instruct us over what we may find funny.
In the interests of decency - such as they are - I won't post the winning poem here: follow the link. In the interests of modesty - such as they are - I'll leave my own poem to your (possibly fevered, who knows) imaginations!
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/bo ... mpetition/
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

manfred

Post by manfred »

There are some worrying developments in Turkey...

The newly elected Prime minister (the old one was made to resign because of a rift with Erdogan...) is openly asking for a change of the constitution to effectively make Erdogan a dictator. They call it "presidential rule".

Addressing a congress of the ruling AK Party before it confirmed him as party leader, Binali Yildirim called for a new constitution.

He said it was time to make the current "de facto situation" a "legal" one.
This means the EU, in contemplating Turkey as a member, has readily abandoned its principle that member states must meet a given set of standards on issues such as democracy and human rights, because Erdogan is effectively blackmailing them. The very idea that Turkey's membership is even considered is a sign of corruption.

It really is a no brainer, we must leave the EU.
Jesus: "Ask and you will receive." Mohammed: "Take and give me 20%"

Hombre

Post by Hombre »

manfred wrote:There are some worrying developments in Turkey...

The newly elected Prime minister (the old one was made to resign because of a rift with Erdogan...) is openly asking for a change of the constitution to effectively make Erdogan a dictator. They call it "presidential rule".

Addressing a congress of the ruling AK Party before it confirmed him as party leader, Binali Yildirim called for a new constitution.

He said it was time to make the current "de facto situation" a "legal" one.
This means the EU, in contemplating Turkey as a member, has readily abandoned its principle that member states must meet a given set of standards on issues such as democracy and human rights, because Erdogan is effectively blackmailing them. The very idea that Turkey's membership is even considered is a sign of corruption.

It really is a no brainer, we must leave the EU.
Erdugan is an idiot. He is intoxicated with his own megalomaniac lust for powers. He should realize that, today he may enjoy unlimited power as President of the country - tomorrow it very well could be a member of his fiercest opposition. At no time after taking office, the new President will use the same powers which Erdugan put in place, to disassemble Erdugan own legacy .

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Meanwhile, in the UK there's a referendum spat among the Tories over Turkey. One cabinet minister says the UK would not be able to stop the EU admitting Turkey. The Prime Minister and his allies say that this is a lie.
The truth probably lies somewhere between the two: the rules as they stand may well allow the UK to block Turkey, but nobody believes they can rely on Cameron to do that.
Anyway, a survey has estimated that if Turkey did get into the EU, 5,000,000 Turks would want to come to the UK.
‘Hindus and Muslims belong to two different religious philosophies, social customs and literary traditions. They neither intermarry nor eat together, and indeed they belong to two different civilisations which are based mainly on conflicting ideas and conceptions.’ Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Erdoğan calls on Europe to take in more Syrian refugees . He says Europe is not doing enough. Erdoğan’s office would not be drawn into how many Syrians he hopes the west will welcome. But a Turkish diplomat separately told the Guardian last week that Turkey was hoping for as many as half a million people.

Erdogan is also only going to send the low-skilled Syrian to Europe. Turkey refuses EU travel to highly skilled Syrian refugees.
German media has reported that Ankara is banning Syrian academics from leaving Turkey. Turkey has already threatened to end a migration deal with the EU amid the ongoing dispute over visa-free travel for its citizens.

German magazine "Spiegel" reported on Saturday that several governments in the EU had criticized the "striking number" of cases of hardship among the refugees coming to the EU under the recently implemented refugee agreement with Ankara.

The EU's Luxembourg representative reportedly said in an internal EU meeting in Brussels that there were "many serious medical cases or refugees with very low education" among the people sent from Turkey.

A German politician, Ole Schröder (CDU), who is parliamentary state secretary in the Interior Ministry, also reported similar cases to the Committee on Interior Affairs of the Bundestag, the magazine said.

Syrian academics unable to leave
According to information from Germany, the Netherlands and Luxembourg, Turkish authorities have repeatedly withdrawn permits which had already been granted, because the refugees had been found to be well-trained engineers, doctors or skilled workers, the report said.

In the meantime, "Spiegel" said, Turkey has officially told the United Nations refugee agency UNHCR that Syrian academics are no longer permitted to leave Turkey under a 1:1 resettlement plan that formed part of a refugee agreement signed by the EU and Ankara in March. The report said that Turkey had claimed the right to choose which Syrians leave, although it is usually the UNHCR that decides who is eligible for a resettlement program.

more here
The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Those survey figures are worse than I thought:
EXCLUSIVE POLL: 12 MILLION Turks say they’ll come to the UK once EU deal is signed
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672563 ... ures-Turks
The actual poll results are here:
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/turkey- ... 1464009787
The figures show that a lot of well qualified Turks would like to come here, but it sounds as though Erdogan wouldn't let them. However, he'd no doubt be glad to be rid of the large number of unemployed Turks who would wish to come.
Possibly even worse is a dead link to another Express article**, claiming that if the UK stays in the EU and Turkey joins, it could become a Muslim-majority country by 2050. To save our children or grandchildren from that would surely be worth almost any sacrifice.
One sickening actual thing, though, is that Cameron got the job that David Davis (quoted on Turkey) should have had. With Davis as MP, things would have been very different.
Last night David Davis said Turkey’s plans to join the EU was the strongest argument for Brexit,
** Oddly, when I followed the link to that highlighted article, the page couldn't be found. After that, the link had disappeared. It was still gone after I refreshed the page and I couldn't find it on the Express site or on Google.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

I just read that there is yet no deal with Turkey . So for the time being no free visa for millions of Turks on the first of July. Although... Merkel said...Unlikely. :clueless: Therefore Merkel and the EU can change their minds any time.
Merkel warns Turkey visa-free EU travel by July 1 is unlikely

Istanbul: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday warned that it was unlikely that Turks would benefit from visa-free travel to most of the EU by a July 1 target due to disputes over a key condition of Ankara changing an anti-terror law.

"We must do everything that we can to continue to discuss as it is likely that by July 1 certain things will not be put in place, in other words the visa exemption (will not be granted) as some conditions will not have been fulfilled," she said

manfred

Post by manfred »

I think that is going to be "unlikely" until 10pm of 23rd June precisely. Then it will be agreed. This is entirely a manoeuvre for British audience. In order to qualify there would have to be freedom speech, an independent judiciary, and a democratic government, amongst other things. In Turkey? Pigs might fly before then. Not only will they get EU free visa travel without meeting the conditions others have to meet, they will become EU members soon afterwards, if the EU survives that long.

I wonder how Erdogan assesses the prospect of large chunks of his people voting with their feet and go to live elsewhere? How will that affect the economy? What does it say about his government when many more people want to leave than to go there?

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

The German Parliament overwhelmingly adopted a symbolic but fraught resolution on Thursday declaring the killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks in 1915 a genocide,wich as we know escalating tensions with Turkey .

Erdogan is angry, very angry. So angry that he send death threats to German MPs of Turkish origin . “Their blood is impure and we know whose spokespeople they are,” Erdogan told a cheering audience at a televised rally on Saturday.
“I am seriously worried,” Green party MP Özcan Mutlu told public broadcaster ARD on Sunday evening.

“I've never experienced this quality [of attack]. Some manic, crazy person might hear that and think 'the leader has given his orders'.”

“Many people in Turkey have died like that.”

'Turkish Pegida'

“Unfortunately there is also a Turkish Pegida,” Green party leader Cem Özdemir – a longtime Erodgan critic and one of the people who pushed for the Armenia resolution - told Die Welt am Sonntag.

“Far-right radicalism is not a German privilege. It exists in Turkey too and among German Turks.”

Berlin police have reportedly increased their protective detail around Özdemir's flat in the capital in response to the threats.

more here

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Merkel Ready To Give In To ‘Blackmail’ Over Turkish Visas
According to a British diplomat, Chancellor Angela Merkel is ready to give visa-free travel in the Schengen zone to 75 million Turkish citizens despite the failure to meet key European Union conditions.

In starkly undiplomatic language, British Ambassador to Germany Sir Sebastian Wood has said that Chancellor Merkel’s officials are ready to strike a “compromise formulation” on the Turkish terrorism law which was a sticking point to the proposed EU-Turkey migrant deal.

The Turkish leader, President Erdoğan, recently said that telling his country to soften its counter-terror laws was tantamount to asking it to give up its struggle against terrorism. In saying so he was threatening to scupper the deal which is designed to give Turks visa-free travel to Europe in return for stemming the flow of illegal migrants to the continent.

At first the EU said it would not give in to Turkish pressure, but now The Daily Telegraph reports that a leaked diplomatic telegram (‘DipTel’) written last month by Sir Sebastian suggests otherwise.

In the May 13 memo, Sir Sebastian said President Erdoğan’s pursuit of German satirist Jan Böhmermann “only strengthened the view that he is an authoritarian bully who is trying to blackmail Europe.” He also wrote, regarding the migrant deal:

“Despite the tough public line, there are straws in the wind to suggest that in extremis the Germans would compromise further to preserve the EU-Turkey deal.

“Merkel has begun to paint the deal in humanitarian terms, (pointing out that since it came into force, only 9 people have drowned), to pre-empt human rights opposition. Officials here have shown some interest, behind the scenes, about possible compromise formulations on the anti-terror law.”

Sir Sebastian’s comments appear to reflect the line taken by European Parliament President Martin Schulz last month, when he used an interview to say how he was against scrapping the EU-Turkey migrant deal despite President Erdoğan’s “monopolisation of power”, claiming:

“The refugees would have to pay the price in the end. We need a good agreement. We will therefore continue to cooperate with Turkey, but we must not remain silent.”

There are fears that President Erdoğan could increase migrant flows if the visa waiver deal, which had been due to kick in on July 1, is not concluded.

Sir Sebastian said the German government thinks it can “keep Erdoğan at the table,” keeping “the deal in play through the summer spike” with a “carefully fudged delay on both sides until October”. In doing so they will be able to hold a lid on tensions until long after Britain’s upcoming referendum.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06 ... ish-visas/
They might hold it off until October, but as Manfred suggests 23 July is quite possible - it would still meet the original deadline. Note that, as always, it's Merkel who decides.

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

EU-Turkey refugee deal is ILLEGAL, shock court challenge claims

Three asylum-seekers are suing the EU for its deal with Turkey

The trio, currently in Greece, have argued Turkey is not a safe place for refugees and filed a complaint to the Luxembourg-based court last week.

The move risks derailing the fragile deal which has already come under threat due to strained EU-Turkish relations.

The three complainants, two Pakistanis and an Afghan, are currently staying in refugee camps in Greece.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/679 ... pean-court
I can't see that one being sorted before the 23rd. Mind you, confirming the legality of Cameron's child benefit deal seems to have been rushed through.
But by what logic are people from Pakistan remotely eligible to claim asylum anyway?

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

[quote]
Britain caves in on talks over Turkey joining EU:
Leave campaigners say climbdown makes mockery of Cameron's claim country will not join EU until 'the year 3000'

Britain last night caved in on Turkey, agreeing to let it take another step towards full EU membership.

During talks in Brussels, UK diplomats initially resisted allowing the country to open a new phase in its negotiations with the EU. But within only a few hours, Britain backed down.

Leave campaigners said it made a mockery of claims by David Cameron that Turkey is not on course to join until ‘the year 3000’.

Talks over whether Turkey can satisfy financial and budgetary rules on European Union membership could now begin as early as June 24 – the day after the referendum.

The U-turn was revealed by the pro-EU Financial Times – which accused the Government of ‘diplomatic acrobatics’. One eurozone diplomat was reported saying of Britain: ‘It is like they are scared of their own shadow.’

The Prime Minister has hardened his language on Turkish membership in recent weeks after it became a huge issue in the referendum campaign.

However, Leave campaigners point out that he has stopped short of changing the Government’s official position – which is to support Turkey’s membership of the EU.[/quoote]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4Bf66mjn2

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

You can't insult Gollum Erdogan - he's too precioussssss
According to the World Service, the man who three years ago produced pictures comparing Erdogan with Gollum has been found guilty of upsetting that precioussss individual and been sentence to a suspended gaol sentence of 1 year. More confusingly, and perhaps more worryingly, he has been "stripped of certain parental rights" according to the World Service. No more details seem to be available at the moment.
Until Turkey joins the EU - or until he finds some archaic UK law for Cameron to enforce (if he lasts the week out) I can still show you a pair of the pictures:
Gollum Erdogan

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

The BBC has this to say about the Gollum affair
A court in the south-western Antalya province gave Rifat Cetin a suspended one-year jail sentence and stripped him of parental custody rights.
Although again they seem incurious about the strange - perhaps even cruel and unusual - punishment, not even reporting whether the man has any children.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36610000
It's not just the BBC: I've waded through a whole page of Google News links and no mention of why this punishment, whether it's usual in Turkey, or whether Cetin has any children. The nearest mention - which does stress at least the potential horror of the judgement - is this, regarding the doctor who was sacked for the same thing:
The judge in Ciftci’s case put the decision on hold in order to consult with film experts over whether the Gollum comparison really counts as an insult, and a decision still hasn’t been made. But Cetin’s fate may set a precedent for Ciftci, who lost his job over the matter and, it sounds like, could lose his kids too.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/06/23/a- ... to-gollum/
What's the matter with all these journalists? Why can't they investigate something far more sinister than 1 year suspended? The poor chap may well have preferred to do the time rather than lose his children forever.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Turkey gathers boats to ship Muslim migrants to Greece in revenge over EU talks freeze

Erdogan said: “If you go any further, these border gates will be opened.”

So it’s either admit Turkey into the EU, which would mean essentially that Europe would be ruled from Ankara and would soon cease to exist as we know it, or Erdogan will flood Europe with even more Muslim migrants, among whom will inevitably be an unknowable number of jihad terrorists. For Europe, as far as Erdogan is concerned, the choice is either to be murdered or commit suicide.

EUROPE is on the brink of war as Turkey gathers fleets of boats to ship 3,000 migrants a day to Greece in retaliation over the European Union’s (EU) vote to freeze accession talks.

Greek intelligence officers have discovered the Turkish plans which they say involve thousands of dinghies and motorboats already being gathered along Turkey’s western coast.

The analysts said Syrian migrants are preparing to board the vessels and wash up on Greek shores “within a matter of weeks”.

National intelligence officials estimate at least 3,000 undocumented migrants could enter Greece each day under the plan.

They said the plans are being supported by Recep Tayyip Erdogan who has been battling the European Parliament since they voted to halt talks to let Turkey into the union last week.

Although the vote is non-binding the politicians have put up a political wall between the EU and Mr Erdogan.

During a speech in Istanbul on Saturday, the country’s president warned: “If you go any further, these border gates will be opened. Neither me nor my people will be affected by these dry threats. It wouldn’t matter if all of you approved the European Parliament vote.

“We are the ones who feed three-three and a half million refugees in this country. You have betrayed your promises.”

In March this year, Turkey entered into an agreement with the EU in which they accept Syrian migrants who have made their way from Turkey to Greece.

In return for accepting the migrants, Turkish citizens get visa-free access to the EU and the government gets monetary rewards.

However, Turkey’s human rights attitude has continually threatened to topple its accession hopes….

manfred

Post by manfred »

It is surprising that this despicable deal held as long as it did. To Erdogan both migrants and real refugees are merely weapons.

If the whole thing starts all over again, even the most lethargic thinker must realise that the EU is incapable of solving problems.

The chances are there will be a new government in Greece as a result, which will take Greece out of the EU, and which will use force to control its own borders... It will also strengthen Marine Le Pen in the imminent elections in France, and it will effect the Dutch elections too.

Even the officials in the EU should see the writing in the wall, but I doubt they can come up with a feasible plane to avert the problems... It really is getting very simple for them: If they cannot or will not deal with it, others will.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Turkey’s nationwide election on June 24 will be the first to occur since the mass arrests of leaders of the Kurdish-friendly Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) in 2016 for allegedly supporting the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).
Deliver an ‘Ottoman Slap’ in ‘Failing Europe’, Erdogan Tells E.U.’s Muslims

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan condemned Europe’s treatment of Turks yesterday as he used a fiery speech to urge the continent’s Muslims to stand up and fight for their rights in “failing democracies.”

His call at a massed rally in Sarajevo, Bosnia was met by ringing cries of “Allahu akbar ” and “Sultan Erdogan” from thousands of expatriate Turks, the Times reports.

“The European countries that claim to be the cradles of democracy have failed,” he told 15,000 cheering members of the Turkish diaspora, many of whom had travelled from Germany, Austria and the Netherlands.

“European Turks must show their strength to the whole world,” he said. “You need to be in those parliaments instead of the ones who betray our country.

“Are you ready to demonstrate to the whole world the strength of European Turks? Are you ready to give the terrorist organisations and their local and foreign henchmen an Ottoman slap?” — a reference to opposition PKK Kurdish groups who have front groups in some European capitals.

An estimated 15,000 people attended the rally in the Sarajevo’s Zetra sports center, where large portraits of Erdogan and Turkey’s first president, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, were put up a day earlier. It was designed to drum up support for Mr. Erdogan before next month’s Turkish national elections.

The expatriate European vote is generally a source of support for Erdogan’s AKP and officials are keen to rouse a strong turnout in Europe.

The Bosnian capital was chosen for the event — ahead of Ankara’s presidential and parliamentary elections next month — after European Union states such as Germany, Austria and the Netherlands barred Turkish politicians from electioneering in their countries, stoking tensions between Ankara and Brussels.

A woman attends a rally with others waving Turkish and Bosnian flags, in Sarajevo, Bosnia, on Sunday, May 20, 2018. Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrived in the Bosnian capital to address supporters living in Europe, ahead of snap elections in his country. (AP Photo/Amel Emric)

During his speech, Mr. Erdogan pledged to work to provide job opportunities for Turkish citizens who retire abroad, as well as new programs for children to learn Turkish.

He also took the opportunity to criticise Germany and other countries that have banned him from holding rallies on their soil. He said also that TRT, Turkey’s state news agency, would expand its coverage in Europe to counter the “propaganda” published against Muslims, and promised that Turks who took citizenship in other countries would not lose their right to vote in Turkey.

Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Ariel wrote:
An estimated 15,000 people attended the rally in the Sarajevo’s Zetra sports center, where large portraits of Erdogan and Turkey’s first president, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, were put up a day earlier.
Not so much an un-holy alliance as an un-holy hi-jacking.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Has Turkey opened the flood gates again? Greece under intense migrants-pressure

During the height of the migrant crisis in 2015, the number of illegal migrants who reached Greek soil numbered in the hundreds of thousands. Although the numbers decreased for some time, it looks like they’re quickly rising once more.

In 2016, Greece and Turkey reached an agreement which allowed Athens to return migrants to Turkey. The agreement was terminated in 2018, and since then the steady flow of migrants into Greece from the Middle East has continued.

Thanks to the unrelenting stream of migrants coming into the already impoverished southern EU-member state, local tourism and the already struggling economy have nearly ground to a complete halt.

Last month, Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu threated the EU when he said, “We are facing the biggest wave of migration in history. If we open the floodgates, no European government will be able to survive for more than six months. We advise them not to try our patience.”

Is Turkey making good on its threats?

According to a report from The Times, migrant landings in Greece have tripled in recent weeks.

After the Greek route was brought under a semblance of control by the 2016 agreements made by Greece and Turkey, mass migration into Europe shifted to Italy. However, since Italy elected Matteo Salvini as its Interior Minister in 2018, the flow of migrants coming into Europe has from Italy to Spain. But the integrity of Greece’s – and by extension, the EU’s – borders seem to be under threat once more.

According to The Times report, Greece has around 90,000 migrants living in more than 50 camps and centers across its mainland, five Aegean islands, as well as its northern frontiers.

The number of illegal arrivals, which once averaged 60 per day, has now reached an average of 278 per day. This year alone, nearly 22,000 migrants are believed to have landed in Greece – with even more coming from the east via Greece’s land border with Turkey in East Thrace.

The Greek government has repeatedly charged Ankara with purposefully letting migrants flow into Europe as a way to punish the EU for failing to accept and integrate Turkey into the bloc.

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Erdogan says Turkey can’t handle Syrian migrant influx, warns Europe of new refugee wave

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned that his country is ill-equipped to handle a wave of Syrian migrants from Idlib, and warned that Europe will feel its impact next, unless the bombing of Idlib stops.
Speaking at an awards ceremony in Istanbul on Sunday, Erdogan said that Turkey “will not bear the burden alone” of the 80,000 migrants currently marching toward its borders from Idlib, in north-western Syria.

The Turkish leader added that Europe will see a repeat of the 2015 migrant crisis - which saw more than a million migrants enter Europe in less than a year - if its leaders do not intervene to stop violence in the region. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is currently attempting to recapture Idlib, with Russian support, from the remains of Islamic state.

Erdogan said he is doing everything possible to work with Moscow to stop the attacks on Idlib, and announced that a Turkish delegation will fly to the Russian capital on Monday for talks aimed at ending the violence.

Turkey is currently hosting more than 3.6 million Syrian refugees, and past negotiations with European leaders have seen Erdogan threatening to release them into the continent. Most recently, he promised to “open the gates” should European leaders label his military operation against Kurdish forces in northern Syria an ‘occupation’.

Erdogan’s operation against the Kurds is aimed at the creation of a ‘safe zone’ inside the Syrian border for the resettlement of some of the 3.6 million refugees currently in Turkey. Under pressure to relieve the refugee burden, he has pledged to press ahead with establishing the safe zone - with or without international support.